Surviving a Family Photo shoot
How to make your next family photo shoot a stress free one.
Family photos are truly timeless and such a great keepsake for future generations. Getting the family together to take those perfect portraits can turn into chaos if not approached correctly. There is usually a lot more to consider when it comes to a family photo shoot since there are members of all ages, which means that there is some extra coordination involved.
Family Photo shoot Ideas & Tips
Here are some family photo shoot ideas and tips to keep you and your loved ones calm and smiling the whole way through.
- Timing is everything. If you have younger children involved in the shoot, try and arrange the photo shoot at a time when they would be well rested. A rested child makes for happy photos. On that note, all family members should get enough sleep the night before as this helps with the fun and relaxation aspects of the session.
- Dos and don’ts of bribery. Get your family excited about the photo shoot; don’t offer a reward in return for their cooperation. This tends to lead to forced smiles and an irritated bunch of people. If you do have small children coming along it’s not a bad idea to give the photographer some bribery options in the form of toys or small food items to make those difficult moments a little easier
- Relinquish control. As much as you’ll want to direct your children on where to stand and how to pose, it’s best to leave that to the photographer as she’ll know what works best. You will feel more relaxed not having this pressure.
- It’s not just about the posing. Just let the moments happen. The best photos happen when you’re having fun so joke and play with your children, hold your partner’s hand.
- Plan ahead. Discuss all of your requirements with your photographer beforehand so that the family photo session can just flow. Let your photographer know if you want specific pictures taken.
- Keep those sugar levels up. When everyone has eaten well, the photo shoot will also run a lot smoother. It’s also not a bad idea to take a few snacks and some water along for those who might need it.
Plan your next custom family portrait session
Enjoy capturing your memories.