It appears that winter has finally hit all of us here in Massachusetts and most of New England in the last week with two major storms dropping well over two to three feet of snow. This is great for all the snow-lovers. This means that there is time for some fun winter activities such as snow-tubing and sledding, skiing, snowboarding, etc. One fun activity that most people don’t tend to think of is having an outdoor, winter photo session. Winter is just as great a time for photo sessions (including engagement or family) as any other season.
There is a special kind of magic that comes with outdoor, winter photo sessions. The snow lightly falling and icicles hanging from the branches create a lovely backdrop for any photo session. Here are some tips to make your winter or fall photo sessions go smoothly.
- Dress warmly. You will be surprised at how often this is overlooked. Since you’ll be standing outside for a long period of time, short sleeves, thin fabrics, and open toe shoes will not be comfortable for very long. Shivering makes it hard to look happy and pose properly.
- Wear sunscreen. Protecting your skin should be a priority throughout the year, not just in summer. Use a good moisturizer to protect your skin from chilly winds.
- Watch the weather. Warmer days may seem more pleasant but melting snow can change the entire look of your backdrop. If you are looking for light snow flurries, try and keep an eye on the weather forecast to make sure that you don’t end up with melting or heavy snow.
- Be flexible. If the weather isn’t exactly what you had hoped for, see if you can still make the photo session work. If you are however scheduling this session in advance, you may just have to work with the weather on that particular day.
- Incorporate color. Even though winter has some amazing colors to work with, why not wear a splash of color to really stand out in your photos? For example, vibrant shades of reds and or blue look amazing against the snow.
- Plan your day. Taking your photos just after the sun rises or just before it sets will provide you with amazing lighting so try and plan your session around those times.
Take some hot tea or coffee along to make your photo session even more enjoyable and get ready for some beautiful results.
Five6teen Photography is a Franklin, MA based wedding, senior, custom portrait photographer serving most of Central Massachusetts and greater Worcester and Boston areas.